WHAT IS FREIGHT?
Freight is any goods being transported in bulk from one destination to another. Usually, this transportation takes place by truck, plane, cargo ship, or train.
WHAT IS FREIGHT SHIPPING?
Freight shipping is the process by which goods (in bulk) are transported from one location to another. There are different types of freight shipping depending on certain factors i.e. size, weight, volume, expedited shipping, high value, etc.
WHAT ARE THE SHIPPING LOGISTICS OF FREIGHT SHIPPING?
- LTL – Less than truck load. This type of freight shipping is where the product being shipped takes up less space than a full truck. For LTL up to 7 pallets is the sweet spot. Something to keep in mind is that with an LTL shipment other items from other businesses will be transported in the same truck as your product.
- FTL – This stands for “Full Truck Load.” In this scenario freight takes up the space of the entire truck and no other product will be transported with it. This is your least expensive shipping option based upon the amortization of space.
- Volume – This is an option if your freight doesn’t take up the full truck but is more than 6-7 pallets worth of product.
- Designated Truck – This type of freight shipping is reserved for products or goods that the company wants to be shipped on its own. This shipping method is preferred when you are transporting expensive items such as new machinery because no other products other businesses will be placed in the same truck.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FREIGHT SHIPPING?
One of the benefits of freight shipping is that it is more cost-effective than trying to ship your product one-by-one. Often, freight is a necessity and most growing consumer goods businesses will need to utilize it to either receive or send shipments.
The growth of eCommerce has allowed for a boom in the shipping industry. Shipping companies have expanded their capacity in order to keep pace with the ever-growing need for expedited shipping and smaller LTL shipments.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A FREIGHT SHIPPING COMPANY
There are quite a few companies that offer freight shipping but not all of them do it right. There are a few important factors to look for in determining who you will entrust to handle your inventory:
- Rates – Shipping can be EXPENSIVE. It’s important to utilize a company that has aggressive shipping rates. These rates are usually determined by the volume that company ships and the relationship them have with the carriers.
- Customer Service – Most people think that setting up and managing a freight shipment is a simple and hands-free process. The reality is that shipments can often have issues i.e. lost goods, damaged goods etc. Often claims need to be made and you will want a company that can reliably navigate these problems.
- Variety – Many E-commerce businesses purchase goods from either one or multiple international or domestic sources. Your freight company will need to have the ability to handle international shipping on either a plane or a boat. These goods will need to be managed through customs in order to be authorized to arrive at your facility. Some carriers do not ship certain goods such as CBD. While other carriers will not ship to specific facilities such as Amazon. Your freight supplier will need to have an affordable back-up to ensure your business runs smoothly.
Knowing the basics of freight is only half the battle. As one of the premier freight and fulfillment companies in Utah we can help you determine the best shipping method for your inventory. Whether that’s FTL, LTL, Designated truck, etc. We will do our best to get your freight shipped in a timely manner and in a way that is most cost-effective for you.
As a full-service eCommerce and wholesale fulfillment center we can handle your warehouse fulfillment needs. From scheduling shipments from your manufacturers to wholesale or direct to consumer client. Top of Form